Casein and whey proteins are found in milk. Whey protein can be separated and is usually the bi-product of cheese. It is low in lactose content and contains all nine essential amino acids. Hence, it is considered a complete protein. It is a supplement that helps in improving the synthesis of muscle protein and growth of lean tissue mass.
Composition of whey protein:
- Bovine serum albumin
Types of Whey proteins
There are three types of whey protein. Let’s have a look at all three of them.
- Whey protein concentrates- The percentage of protein in whey protein concentrate depends on how concentrated it is. In low concentrated whey protein, the percentage of protein is about 30% and in highly concentrated whey, it goes as high as up to 90%. Whey proteins are low in fats and carbohydrates.
- Whey protein Isolates- These contain proteins up to 90% because it is further processed. Hence, it does not contain any fat and lactose.
- Whey protein hydrolysate- Hydrolysis is a process that is necessary for the body for absorbing protein. This whey protein is partially hydrolyzed and hence is called predigested whey protein. It does not require much digestion, unlike the other forms of whey proteins. Since, it has improved digestibility and reduced allergen potential, it is mainly used in medical supplements and infant foods.
Benefits of Whey protein
Whey protein has many health benefits and researchers are counting for more of them. Here is a list of few benefits that whey protein provides.
- Aids weight loss- People who consumed whey protein lost more weight and preserved more lean muscles than others. Researchers have proved this in their studies as well.
- Anti-cancer properties- Tests have proved that whey protein not only aids weight loss, it also prevents cancer.
- Lowers cholesterol- People who consumed whey protein lost noticed significant decrease in total cholesterol and increase in LDL cholesterol than others, even those who consumed casein.
- Asthma- Whey protein is seen to improve the immune system, especially in kids with asthma. Hence, it can safely be concluded that whey protein helps in treating asthma in kids.
- Reducing risk of heart attack- Significant reduction in blood pressure was seen in those who took whey protein supplement. Thus, reducing the hypertension. Hypertension is known as a reason for heart attack. Hence, whey protein reduces the risk of heart attack by reducing hypertension.
Possible side effects of whey protein
Those who are allergic to milk might as well be allergic to whey protein. Consuming prescribed dose of whey doesn’t harm in any ways but high doses may carry some side effects like.
- Stomach pain
- Lost appetite
Along with resistance workout, whey protein supplements improve the muscle synthesis and helps in growth of lean muscle mass. Preparing whey protein is a long task. Left over milk coagulates and eventually turns in to 5% solution of lactose in water, full of minerals. 20% of this is liquid and is the whey and other 80% is casein. The liquid is then separated and dried to be used as whey protein supplement. Then available online whey proteins in India can be easily bought.